In an allegation that may rattle the BJP’s pro-farmer plank ahead of Manipur Assembly Election 2022, former union minister and Congress leader Jairam Ramesh today accused the BJP of diverting urea supply meant for farmers to opium fields. The Rajya Sabha MP said that while Manipur is getting twice the supply it needs, the farmers of the state have been complaining of shortage.
“BJP’s ‘Vikas’ in Manipur. Manipur is getting TWICE the supply of urea it needs and yet farmers complain of shortage! Why? Because urea is diverted to hill areas in Manipur, where poppy is being grown for opium in large areas in last 4 yrs. The State Govt is fully complicit in this,” said Ramesh in a tweet.
BJP’s ‘Vikas’ in Manipur
Manipur is getting TWICE the supply of urea it needs and yet farmers complain of shortage! Why?
Because urea is diverted to hill areas in Manipur, where poppy is being grown for opium in large areas in last 4 yrs. The State Govt is fully complicit in this pic.twitter.com/VOFBHBXg9n
— Jairam Ramesh (@Jairam_Ramesh) August 31, 2021
Congress Manipur Secretary Shah Nawazkhan also claimed that one farmer died while standing in queue for getting a bag of urea. “Many farmers are protesting against the BJP Govt of Manipur for not providing Urea Fertilizers on time. Unfortunately, One farmer also died when standing in queue for submitting Aadhaar card and land record to acquire a bag of urea. Shame on you BJP,” he said.
Many farmers are protesting against the BJP Govt of Manipur for not providing Urea Fertilizers on time. Unfortunately One farmer also died when standing queue for submitting Aadhaar card and land record to acquire a bag of urea. Shame on you BJP
— Shah Nawazkhan (@ShahNawazKhanMM) August 31, 2021
Notably, a Manipur-based farmers organisation, Loumi Shimee Apunba Lup, had demanded an inquiry into the shortage of urea faced by the farmers despite the state getting more urea than its original requirement. Some farmers had even observed a relay hunger strike demanding that urea be made available to them on time. Manipur Agriculture Minister Oinam Lukhoi, however, had been denying any shortage.
He has been visiting different areas to distribute urea bags. “Efforts are continuously being made by the Government through Agri Department to cover maximum farmers,” said Lukhoi. He added that the government under the supervision of CM N Biren Singh has been committed to the welfare of the farmers community and their concerns and grievances are always taken as utmost importance.
Manipur will go to polls next year.
- Fuel Management Systems Market Is Going to Boom with Trimble, Timeplan Fuel Solutions, Fleetmatics Group
- Digital Experience Platforms Software Market Expansion to be Persistent During 2026: Sitefinity, Jahia, Infosys
- Internet of Things in Energy and Utility Applications Market to See Huge Growth by 2026 | General Electric, Honeywell, Fujitsu, SAP
- Insurance Telematics Market to see Booming Business Sentiments | Verizon Enterprise Solutions, Trimble Navigation, Trak Global Group
- Machine Learning in Communication Market May See Robust Growth By 2026: Nexmo, facebook, Google
- Telco Customer Experience Management Market Is Booming Worldwide with ChatterPlug, Tech Mahindra, IBM, InMoment, Huawei, Wipro