With news of theatres opening up, Bollywood producers wasted no time in announcing releases date of their films, which were in the pipeline due to lockdown. Roohi, Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar and Mumbai Saga were among the earliest big productions to test the water as box office business resumed. But it is once again a Hollywood film, Godzilla vs Kong, that has become the highest-grossing foreign film in India in the Covid era, in a week.
The movie opened to big box-office numbers on the opening day in India, raking Rs 6.4 crore (nett) on the first day of its release. It has collected a total of $25.2 million in regional revenues in Southeast Asia, on its opening weekend, with US$4.9 million (Rs.35.97 crore) in India alone. It also opened on more screens nationwide (1770) than any other film since the start of the pandemic last year.
In China, the film did $70.3 million business from 42,000 screens, with an 82 per cent share of the box office. In the US, Godzilla vs Kong opens in cinemas and debuts on HBO Max on March 31. The third instalment to the Godzilla film franchise, stars Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall, Eiza Gonzalez and Demian Bichir. It released in India on March 24.
“We are absolutely delighted with the opening numbers and the overwhelming response to the film. This proves that movies like ‘Godzilla vs Kong are best enjoyed by audiences in the biggest cinema screen possible!” Denzil Dias (VP and MD, Warner Bros. Pictures, India) had said in a statement after day one.
Meanwhile, the Rajkummar Rao-Janhvi Kapoor starrer Roohi managed a first weekend collection Rs 12.58 crore (nett), after releasing on March 11. A week later, the John Abraham-Emraan Hashmi starrer Mumbai Saga managed a weekend collection of Rs 8.74 crore (nett). Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar, starring Arjun Kapoor and Parineeti Chopra, opened below expectations. The film’s first weekend collection is around 0.25 crore.
(With IANS Inputs)
- Takeaways: What should Tennessee’s punishment be for ugly scene in Knoxville?
- The Flash teaser: Ezra Miller shares a glimpse of Michael Keaton’s Batman
- Akshay Kumar thanks retired Army officer for pointing out mistake in the Gorkha poster : Bollywood News – Bollywood Hungama
- Back to the past to remain Chennai Super Kings’ motto | Cricket News – Times of India
- Shah Rukh Khan’s son Aryan Khan counselled in NCB custody; star kid promises to make Zonal Director Sameer Wankhede proud one day : Bollywood News – Bollywood Hungama
- UFC reveals the stacked fight card for UFC 269 during the broadcast of UFC Fight Night: Ladd vs. Dumont