Federal Bank said on Thursday the equity investment by World Bank arm IFC is expected to increase green portfolio financing for projects related to energy efficiency, renewable energy, climate-smart agriculture, green buildings and waste management.
IFC and two investment funds managed by IFC Asset Management Company – IFC Financial Institutions Growth Fund, LP and IFC Emerging Asia Fund, LP – have made an equity investment of $126 million (Rs 916 crore) for a 4.99% stake in the Kerala-based lender.
The investment will support the bank’s commitment to environmental, social and governance standards, while strengthening its tier 1 capital adequacy ratio (CAR) and expanding MSMEs and climate finance portfolios.
Shyam Srinivasan, MD & CEO of Federal Bank, said: “After the bank’s board approved issuance of shares to the IFC group to an extent of 4.99% of the bank’s paid-up capital, IFC has become a significant shareholder. The addition of this marquee name to the list of our prominent shareholders reinforces the trust and confidence reposed by the IFC group in the bank and its management. The infusion of quality capital further strengthens tier 1 and overall CAR of the bank.”
In addition, the investment also marks IFC’s first in India aligned to the greening equity approach, which will enable the bank, an IFC partner for over a decade, to reduce its exposure to coal and increase climate lending.
“This move is in line with IFC’s strategy to support green growth by spurring investments to build back better and greener, seizing opportunities to help India meet its climate goals and build a greener, resilient future,” said Roshika Singh, acting country manager for IFC in India. “The investment is also expected to create tens of thousands of jobs, with micro, small and medium sized enterprises gaining access to much needed financing, which will help ensure an inclusive recovery.”
IFC estimates a total climate-smart investment opportunity of $3 trillion in India till 2030.
- Fuel Management Systems Market Is Going to Boom with Trimble, Timeplan Fuel Solutions, Fleetmatics Group
- Digital Experience Platforms Software Market Expansion to be Persistent During 2026: Sitefinity, Jahia, Infosys
- Internet of Things in Energy and Utility Applications Market to See Huge Growth by 2026 | General Electric, Honeywell, Fujitsu, SAP
- Insurance Telematics Market to see Booming Business Sentiments | Verizon Enterprise Solutions, Trimble Navigation, Trak Global Group
- Machine Learning in Communication Market May See Robust Growth By 2026: Nexmo, facebook, Google
- Telco Customer Experience Management Market Is Booming Worldwide with ChatterPlug, Tech Mahindra, IBM, InMoment, Huawei, Wipro