On Thursday, Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. (NASDAQ:WBA) shares spiked nearly 7% after announcing its most recent quarterly results. The company reported its fiscal third-quarter revenue and earnings before markets opened, beating the average EPS estimate for the fifth consecutive quarter.
The company CEO, Rosalind Brewer told CNBC Walgreens earnings managed to beat expectations due to the management’s efforts to keep costs down in an inflationary environment. The company posted FQ3 non-GAAP earnings per share of $1.17, beating the consensus Street estimate of $1.02.
Are you looking for fast-news, hot-tips and market analysis?
Sign-up for the Invezz newsletter, today.
However, its GAAP EPS of $0.41 was miles below the average analyst estimate of $0.83, while revenue for the quarter of $34.26 billion came in $870 million ahead of estimates despite edging lower 1.4% from the same quarter a year ago.
Is Walgreens still a good buy?
From an investment perspective, the US drugstore chain’s stock trades at a compelling forward P/E ratio of 10.11, making the stock an exciting option for value investors.
However, analysts expect its earnings to plummet by 88% this year, before rising at an average annual rate of 5.14% over the next five years. Therefore, growth investors might opt for alternatives in the market.
As a result, although WBA looks like a good short-term buy, it may be too late to buy following Thursday’s post-earnings spike.
Technically, Walgreens shares seem to have recently spiked to trade above the 100-day moving average in the intraday chart. As a result, the stock now faces solid resistance from the 100-day moving average, creating an opportunity for a pullback.
Therefore, investors could target potential pullbacks at about $48.70, or lower at $47.09, while $51.76 and $53.37 are crucial resistance zones.
A pullback seems inevitable
In summary, although Walgreens Boots Alliance shares trade at an attractive forward P/E ratio of just 10.11, the stock seems to have rallied closer to overbought conditions.
Therefore, with the 100-day MA providing solid resistance, Walgreens shares seem poised for a pullback.
Where to buy right now
To invest simply and easily, users need a low-fee broker with a track record of reliability. The following brokers are highly rated, recognised worldwide, and safe to use:
- Takeaways: What should Tennessee’s punishment be for ugly scene in Knoxville?
- The Flash teaser: Ezra Miller shares a glimpse of Michael Keaton’s Batman
- Akshay Kumar thanks retired Army officer for pointing out mistake in the Gorkha poster : Bollywood News – Bollywood Hungama
- Back to the past to remain Chennai Super Kings’ motto | Cricket News – Times of India
- Shah Rukh Khan’s son Aryan Khan counselled in NCB custody; star kid promises to make Zonal Director Sameer Wankhede proud one day : Bollywood News – Bollywood Hungama
- UFC reveals the stacked fight card for UFC 269 during the broadcast of UFC Fight Night: Ladd vs. Dumont