The decision to postpone the privacy update has been taken due to “misinformation causing concern” among people, the company said.
“We`re now moving back the date on which people will be asked to review and accept the terms. No one will have their account suspended or deleted on February 8. We`re also going to do a lot more to clear up the misinformation around how privacy and security work on WhatsApp. We`ll then go to people gradually to review the policy at their own pace before new business options are available on May 15,” the blog post read.
WhatsApp Blog Post – Giving More Time For Our Recent Update
The New York Times reported that since the announcement of the privacy update many users and some media outlets interpreted the notification as a marked shift in WhatsApp`s data-sharing practices, mistakenly believing that the company could now read people`s conversations and other personal data.
The concerns resulted in people switching to other messaging services such as Signal and Telegram. This week, Signal became the No. 1 app in India, one of WhatsApp`s biggest markets, on Apple and Android phones, the NYT said.
Reassuring people on these concerns, the company said, “the update includes new options people will have to message a business on WhatsApp, and provides further transparency about how we collect and use data. While not everyone shops with a business on WhatsApp today, we think that more people will choose to do so in the future and its important people are aware of these services. This update does not expand our ability to share data with Facebook.”
- Fuel Management Systems Market Is Going to Boom with Trimble, Timeplan Fuel Solutions, Fleetmatics Group
- Digital Experience Platforms Software Market Expansion to be Persistent During 2026: Sitefinity, Jahia, Infosys
- Internet of Things in Energy and Utility Applications Market to See Huge Growth by 2026 | General Electric, Honeywell, Fujitsu, SAP
- Insurance Telematics Market to see Booming Business Sentiments | Verizon Enterprise Solutions, Trimble Navigation, Trak Global Group
- Machine Learning in Communication Market May See Robust Growth By 2026: Nexmo, facebook, Google
- Telco Customer Experience Management Market Is Booming Worldwide with ChatterPlug, Tech Mahindra, IBM, InMoment, Huawei, Wipro