To make room on the roster, New York optioned OF Estevan Florial to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
“I’ll probably ease him in a bit, give him a day here and there as we build him up,” Aaron Boone said pregame Friday. “But I know he’s been chomping at the bit for the better part of a week to get back in.
“…He’s excited and ready to go and hopefully he’ll come in and he can pick up where he left off.”
Torres, who has been dealing with a left thumb injury, last played in the majors on Aug. 8.
He had been on a rehab assignment in Triple-A and left Thursday’s game after getting hit in the left hand by a pitch.
Torres has struggled this season, slashing just .253/.328/.351 with just six home runs in 99 games.
“Gleyber’s shown that the more that’s on the line, usually he’s been a little bit better of a player,” Boone added. “Obviously, we’re at a critical time in the season, entering the final month of games here of the regular season.
“I know he’s really eager to get back and contribute and I know he’s been really excited with what’s been going on with our team as of late.”
He has also been poor defensively, committing 14 errors at shortstop while being worth -8 DRS.
Since bursting on the scene in 2018 and establishing himself as one of the best young players in the game in 2019, Torres has hit just .251/.336/.356 with nine homers in 141 games over his last two seasons.
- Fuel Management Systems Market Is Going to Boom with Trimble, Timeplan Fuel Solutions, Fleetmatics Group
- Digital Experience Platforms Software Market Expansion to be Persistent During 2026: Sitefinity, Jahia, Infosys
- Internet of Things in Energy and Utility Applications Market to See Huge Growth by 2026 | General Electric, Honeywell, Fujitsu, SAP
- Insurance Telematics Market to see Booming Business Sentiments | Verizon Enterprise Solutions, Trimble Navigation, Trak Global Group
- Machine Learning in Communication Market May See Robust Growth By 2026: Nexmo, facebook, Google
- Telco Customer Experience Management Market Is Booming Worldwide with ChatterPlug, Tech Mahindra, IBM, InMoment, Huawei, Wipro